Slack—it’s one of the most popular productivity tools out there today. The platform’s simple tools are perfect for teams that want to keep communication quick and projects running smoothly.
It’s also a highly customizable app that you can personalize and organize to fit your unique needs. Everything from your theme to your emojis can be customized to truly make your Slack workspace your own.
Why Should You Customize Your Slack Workspace?
All you have to do to reap the benefits of Slack is to log in. It comes standard with pretty much everything you need to keep your team connected. However, to make the most of Slack, you should customize your workspace. Here are some reasons why:
- Help keep your workspace organized: If your workspace is anything like ours, things can get a bit crazy on the daily. Between all the channels and messages flying back and forth, organization becomes tough. Luckily, available customizations for the sidebar and other components such as your notifications can help keep you organized and on task.
- Save you precious time: The seconds it takes to type out a message reply or find a specific channel add up. Options such as custom emojis (or reacjis, as Slack likes to call them) and sidebar customization can save you time.
- Ensure you don’t miss a single important notification or message: From adding keywords to ensure you receive the messages you care about to changing your notification sound to something you can hear from two rooms away, customizations ensure you never miss important conversations.
- Make you smile: Let’s face it: we spend a lot of time in Slack. Why not make it fun? Whether that means creating a funny emoji to share or selecting a colorful theme, there’s a customization that’s sure to lift your spirits each time you log on. Want to take the fun to the next level? Try creating some unique Slack channels for you and your team to enjoy.
10 Customizations to Make Your Slack Workspace Your Own
Ready to get started? Here are 10 customizations you can make to your Slack workspace right now.
Generally, all members of a Slack workspace have access to the available customization and preference options. However, admins can also restrict users from being able to make changes to certain components. If you don’t have access to any of the below, reach out to your Slack admin.
1. Set Your Notification Sounds
Did you know you can change your Slack notification sound to “hummus”? It’s true. And that’s not all. There are multiple sounds you can choose from, including “ding” and “plink”. Simply choose the sound you like after listening to the previews.
2. Colorize Your Workspace Theme
Perhaps one of the most fun customizations is changing your Slack theme. Slack offers several themes to choose from, whether you want something colorful and cheery or something moody. If none of the available options fit, you can even create your own.
3. Add Custom Emojis (or Reacjis)
Emojis serve so many unique purposes inside Slack. For example, they can be used to show emotion, or they can be used as reacjis, giving you the ability to react to messages without typing a response.
The best part? You can create custom Slack emojis to use within your workspace. Plus, it’s super easy to do!
Want to take your emoji game to the next level? Slack enables you to make emojis out of GIF files too. Just save your GIF and upload.
4. Finish Your Slack Profile
Your Slack profile contains details about you, such as your full name, your display name, phone number, and more. Customizing your profile has many benefits. For example, it enables your team to find your contact information.
To finish your Slack profile, follow these steps:
- Select your profile photo in the upper right corner of your Slack workspace.
- Next, select Profile and then Edit Profile.
- Fill in all the details you want to share and then select Save Changes.
5. Add Keywords for Messages
Want to be notified every time a message is sent into your workspace that pertains to a specific phrase or word? Here’s how you can set the keyword alert inside Slack.
For example, you can set Slack to notify you when messages are sent with phrases like “new project” or “unhappy customer”. That way, you can respond right away to the messages that matter most to you.
Your sidebar is where all of your Slack channels live, as well as your direct messages and more. Want to clean it up a bit? You’ll want to customize your sidebar by following these steps:
- Select your workspace name in the upper left corner of your workspace.
- Select Preferences and then Sidebar.
- Choose which items you always want visible in your sidebar by checking the boxes.
- Choose how you wish to sort the items.
- Choose which conversations you want to show in your sidebar.
- When finished, just close the window.
7. Choose Your One-Click Emojis
The one-click emojis are those that appear when you hover over a Slack message. This makes it simple to reply to a message quickly. To set these emojis:
- Click your workspace name in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Select Settings & administration then Customize [Workspace Name].
- Under One-Click reactions, select the emoji you want to replace.
- Select the new emoji and, that’s it.
8. Change Your Workspace Icon
Your workspace icon is the small picture that appears next to your workspace name. While it doesn’t serve an incredible purpose, it can add just a bit more customization to your workspace. To change the icon:
- Click on your workspace name in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Select Settings & administration and then Customize [Workspace Name].
- Select the Workspace Icon > Choose File > Upload Icon. You may need to then crop the file. If so, select the Crop Icon.
9. Sync Light & Dark Mode to Your OS
Does the brightness of Slack cause your eyes to twitch? Want to use Light Mode during those late-night work sessions? You can set Slack to change between Light and Dark modes based on your OS.
- Click your workspace name in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Select Themes.
- Check the box next to Sync with OS setting.
Now, your Slack will switch between light and dark themes whenever your system does. Win!
10. Enhance Accessibility
Do you use a screen reader? Want to improve the way your keyboard works with Slack? You’ll find all the accessibility settings in one place. To access them:
- Click your workspace name in the left upper corner of your screen.
- Select Preferences and then Accessibility.
- To customize your screen reader settings, scroll until you see the Screen reader.
- To customize your keyboard settings, scroll until you see Keyboard.
- When you’re finished, you can simply close the window.
What Else Can Slack Do for You and Your Team?
Slack is truly a productivity powerhouse when it comes to collaboration and communication. Beyond these customizations, there are some other tips you can use to manage your team’s Slack channel.
Want to make your team’s Slack channel more efficient and streamlined? These 5 tips will show you just how to do it.
About The Author